I write picture books, chapter books and novels for children in contemporary, fantasy and non-fiction genres. My story themes include courage, love, understanding, anti-bullying, self-belief, friendship and teamwork. I’ve won several awards for my writing and had numerous short stories, articles and book reviews published in anthologies, magazines and newspapers.
My picture books include Stripes in the Forest: The Story of the Last Wild Thylacine, Mama & Hug, Spider Iggy, Our Class Tiger, Little Meerkat, Bearly There, Puggle’s Problem and Warambi (2012 CBCA Notable Book Non-Fiction; 2012 Wilderness Society Award for Children’s Literature Shortlist). My novels and series include Ash Rover, I Dare You, Fangs, Little Good Wolf, the Totally Twins Series and the Unicorn Riders Series.
I conduct author talks and creative writing and marketing workshops throughout Australia at libraries, schools, bookstores, community groups, writers’ centres (including the NSW Writers’ Centre and the ACT Writers’ Centre) and at national and international literary festivals. I’m also the Director of the NSW Writers’ Centre Kids and YA Festival.
ten things you should know about me
1. I grew up in the country.
2. I once had a pet eel and a pet snake.
3. I’m allergic to bees - and blow up like a balloon when I’m stung.
4. I used to collect all sorts of unicorn figurines when I was little.
5. I was reading and writing from the age of four - and haven’t stopped.
6. I love all animals, especially Australian animals.
7. I won lots of colouring-in competitions as a child, including a huge box of chocolates.
8. My favourite colour is red.
9. My favourite foods are chocolate and sushi.
10. When I was sixteen, I won three computers for my school ($10,000 worth) in a writing competition.